Pages

BACK IN THE GAME

Been a while since I baked, been a while since I wrote anything. I went into a bit of a tailspin after the inauguration and did a bit of science policy writing, before sinking deep into a labwork rabbit hole, which is where I've been since late March. Overnights doing chemistry; a few intensive mass spec days; no time for baking.

But now we're back!

I had a few weeks of pretty crappy bakes, tbh. I pulled my starter out of the fridge sometime mid-April; it had languished there, shoved behind yogurt cartons, for at least a month and a half without any attention. I got home from three nights at the lab on a Wednesday; fed it Thursday and Friday; and made a levain Friday evening. The bread that came out was...let's just say it was lackluster. It was slack, floppy, impossible to shape, impossible to score, and generally unattractive. But as always, it tasted good, so I was ready to get back to trying.

I topped off lil starter buddy and put him back in the fridge until the following Thursday, when I basically did the same thing. Let me also note that I was hydrating the crap out of my dough--I think I was up at ~85%, by accident one of the times and intentionally the next, because my instinctive response to failure is to try harder with the same variables in play, assuming that it's some error on my part that's causing the problem. I thought the problem here was shaping technique, so I watched a ton of YouTube videos and came back at my sloppy dough with new strategies in hand. Turns out you can't shape your way past dough that has no structure--or at least, I can't.

It was clearly time for some calm, measured, science-y variable isolation. Several factors could contribute to floppy, weak dough: a) overhydration, e.g. introducing more water than the flour can absorb, b) underdevelopment of gluten during bulk, most likely caused by poor turns/not enough turns (or not autolysing the flour for long enough), or c) overfermenting the whole mess.

A) seemed pretty likely, but I didn't really want to admit it. I've baked 85% hydration breads before and they came out fine! But the doughs from these last few bakes looked slack even a turn or two into the bulk, and my flour was at least a few months old. Swallow your pride here, Ale, and pull back on hydration until further notice.

B) didn't seem right. If anything, I've been turning too aggressively, trying to fix the weakness in the dough via manual manipulation rather than chemistry. I've been turning ~16-20 times, 3-4 times during bulk, and while the dough smooths out nicely, it never feels like it's getting strong. I hadn't felt it seize up and resist a turn at any point. Also, I'd been autolysing for at least an hour.

C) ....maybe there was something here. I've been following the Tartine/Perfect Loaf timings pretty closely, bulk fermenting for about 4 hours, shaping and resting for 30-40 minutes, and then proofing for another ~4 hours on the counter or overnight in the fridge (my fridge proofs always looked pretty tight, though, so I've generally pulled them out and put them on the counter while the oven preheats, adding an extra 1-2 hours of counter time. Our kitchen is generally around 68F).

At the end of bulk, the dough surface is always shiny and quite bubbly, and has risen ~25% above the initial volume. At the end of my final proof, the dough looks jiggly and soft, and pillows up roughly ~30% beyond it's initially-shaped volume.

I read, and I thought, and I looked at a LOT of pictures of other people's dough on the internet, and I decided that a) and c) were both probably major contributors to my failures. Maybe my starter is a lot more active than I think it is, because it's running through the dough way faster than it should, given the temperature of our kitchen and the times involved.

SO: in this weekend's bakes, I acted like a bad scientist and changed two and a half variables at once. I pulled the hydration back to just over 76%, and I decided to finish the bulk fermentation in the fridge to both firm up the dough for shaping and to slow down the starter's activity. Then, I decided to overnight proof in the fridge and to forgo the counter finish. I think I've been pretty consistently overproofing, waiting for that jiggly, bubbly look (which I assumed was right because it was what my dough looked like after the allotted times in basically every recipe I've ever seen). I wish I had pictures, but I don't. Sorry.

I'll work on nailing things down a bit more over the coming weeks. Here's the final recipe, very lightly adapted from The Perfect Loaf's Beginner's Sourdough:

LEVAIN:
start @ 9AM

  • 40g starter
  • 80g Tartine flour mix (half whole wheat, half white AP flour)
  • 80g water (I'm not precious about the temp here)
mix and let sit for a few hours

AUTOLYSE:
start @ 2PM
  • 609g KA bread flour (would normally use 750g, but I ran out!
  • 139g KA AP flour
  • 110 g KA white whole wheat flour
  • 49g BRM rye flour
  • 650g water at ~91 F
mix together with hands; let sit for 1 hour

MIX DOUGH:
@ 3PM, mix the rest of the dough ingredients in
  • 184g float-test-passed levain
  • 18g salt
  • 41g water (I honestly forget if I warmed this water; usually I write this down in my Google Doc, but I must have forgotten
mix together by squishing through fingers, making sure the levain is well-distributed through the flour mixture. transfer to clear bulking bin (I label the initial dough volume with a rubber band). cover with a towel and leave on the counter. kitchen temp is 69F. the dough already feels much, much stiffer than normal, which I'm going to take as a good thing right now.

BULK FERMENT:
@3:15- 9:15PM  (3:15-6:45 on counter; remainder in fridge)
  • turn dough in bin every 30 minutes, for the first two hours of the bulk. Then, leave on counter to finish. Normally I'd leave this out for ~4 hours, and it would get slacker and slacker. This time, I never really saw aggressive softening and bubbling, though I felt the dough smooth. I also felt the dough tighten up after ~3 turns, rather than always feeling soft after ~20. 
  • after 3.5 hours, N decided he wanted to go out for dinner, so I put the bin in the fridge until we got home. It never looked bubbly, but the volume increased by ~25%
PRESHAPE:
@9:15
  • preshape! let sit covered with a bowl for ~15 mins, then uncovered for 10.
SHAPING:
@9:40
  • shape one boule and one batard. heavily, heavily flour banneton liners. 
OVERNIGHT PROOF:
@ 9:50-12PM next day
  • pop into fridge, in plastic grocery bags, to proof overnight.
BAKE:
next day!
  • @11AM: oven on! preheat to 500F, which takes about an hour. put the combo cooker in there to heat up.
  • @12PM: batard comes out of the fridge. flip gently onto a cutting board covered with parchment paper; score. VERY nice score on this one!
    • gently slide into combo cooker, which i've taken out of oven. dump ~4oz of water into the bottom, and cover it with the top half of combo cooker as quickly as i can, which isn't very quick. 
    • put into oven, turn oven down to 475F, and bake for 30min.
    • after 30 min, take off top part of combo cooker. turn oven down to 450, and cook for another 25 minutes.
    • done! interior is 210F.
    • re-heat up combo cooker and oven, then repeat with the boule!
These guys turned out pretty well! They looked pretty, anyway. The crumb was a bit tight, as you can see below. I'm sure I went too conservative in both hydration and proof, so I'll probably start by increasing hydration a bit next week. I'll let you know how it goes!







ale

No comments:

Post a Comment

Instagram